Can you pronounce all of the words? If not, you might want to try a homemade mascara recipe. You can get the same look as expensive brands for much less with natural ingredients.
I already make my own foundation and eyeshadow, so why not make a natural mascara?
- 4 teaspoons clear aloe vera gel
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon grated beeswax*
- cocoa powder or 1 or 2 capsules of activated charcoal
- mascara container with brush
- Use a double boiler to heat beeswax, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel until just melted. Stir frequently.
- Color with cocoa powder or opened activated charcoal until you get the color you want.
- Fill the mascara tube.
The hardest part of this homemade mascara recipe is filling the container. I usually put the mascara in a plastic bag and snip the corner. Then I fill the container like I would icing. This is messy, so put down newspapers or something in case you spill.
Do not reuse mascara containers. They can harbor bacteria, which can lead to an eye infection. If your natural mascara starts smelling different or separates, toss it and make a new batch.
If it's too hard, try rubbing the container in your hands just before using to melt the coconut oil.
Can't find any of the ingredients? Click on the links above to purchase from Amazon using my affiliate links. It won't cost you any extra money, but you'll help support my blog and my family.
*Use 1/2 teaspoon unless you live in a very warm climate, in which case use 3/4 to 1 teaspoon.