Don't let the name poultice scare you: it is very easy to make, and it helps soothe your skin quickly. The best part is that you probably already have all of the ingredients at home!
Next time you are in the sun, be careful and use sunscreen. Don't forget to reapply your sunscreen every hour to hour and a half and after you sweat or get wet, even if your sunscreen says that it is waterproof. Sunburns can be very painful and can cause serious damage to your skin.
Oatmeal Poultice for Sunburned Skin
- 2 tablespoons finely ground oatmeal
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Muslin cloth
- Cotton ball
1. Mix oatmeal, yogurt, witch hazel, and lemon juice in a bowl.
2. Spread mixture over a piece of muslin cloth. Place another piece of muslin over to create a sandwich.
3. Place cloth over sunburnted area and let sit for half an hour.
4. Remove poultice and clean skin with a cotton ball dipped in milk. Let dry.
Muslin is best, but you can also use a thin cotton fabric. Cotton handkerchiefs are a great substitute for muslin.