Easy, Basic Shampoo RecipeWhen you make your own easy shampoo recipe, you won't have any fillers or artificial ingredients. This recipe is just the base for your shampoo. You can add other ingredients to customize your recipe.
What You Need
- 1/4 cup liquid castile soap (or make your own castile soap)
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 1/2 teaspoon carrier oil like grapeseed oil
- 10-20 drops essential oil, if desired
Directions1. Mix all ingredients in a bottle with a lid.
2. Homemade shampoo will separate, so shake before using.
3. Use a dime-sized amount on your hair to wash as usual. Use more for very long or thick hair.
- For a refreshing shampoo, add 5-10 drops each of peppermint essential oil and tea tree oil.
- For dry hair, decrease oil to 1/4 teaspoon and add 1 teaspoon glycerin. Glycerin will pull moisture from the air to your hair all day, which also helps nourish hair.
- If you have dandruff, add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, six ground cloves, and 3 tablespoons of apple juice. Blend ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add a few drops of your favorite fragrance oil to make any scent. Add one drop at a time until you get the scent you want.
Homemade detergent shampoos will not lather as much as commercial shampoos because you do not add a sudsing agent like sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Although SLS does add bubbles to your shampoo, it can also cause skin irritation if it is not rinsed well. SLS can break down the cell membrane and enter the body, and it has been known to cause depression, diarrhea, and labored breathing in animal studies. It isn't known if SLS has the same effects on humans, but just to be careful, I make homemade shampoo recipe for my hair.
If you like this post, then you'll love these!
|List of carrier oils for hair.|
|Whipped Preshampoo Oil Treatment|